Projects Planned For The Future
Some of the projects and experiments we are hoping to begin sometime in the future.
- Prototype Methane Digestor
- We're hoping to replace our use of LPG (Liquid Propane Gas) with methane produced by bacteria digesting animal wastes. This digestor design is intended to be a simple prototype used to begin our understanding of this technology. If all goes well we'll move on to a more advanced model (and finished) design.
- Solar Steam Engine
- Steam engines were the work horse machines before the oil age. This project will seek to turn solar thermal energy into kinetic energy (motion) to be used for a variety of functions including pumping water, compressing air, generating electricity, etc.
- The Cold House
- In the future we will be supplying our homestead's water needs with our own well & an above ground water storage tank. Water coming out of the ground is on average a chilly 55 degrees. We're planning to enclose our water tank in a small, insulated building that will serve as our cold house which we'll use like a root celar. The water's temperature should keep the inside of this building quite quite stable and cool all year round.
- Fencing the Properties
- Much of our neighbor's properties are fenced. We're planning to collaborate with the Avalon's and Troy and Phaedra to fence the remaining boundaries to create a cattle-free zone of about 77 acres of land -- which includes our 2.236 acres.